Monday, June 6, 2011

Welcome - How to Keep Your REW English Angoras White

Welcome to English Angoras are Awesome, my new blog about my English Angoras.  I hope to have information on shows around Wisconsin, and the surrounding states, important tips on raising this wonderful breed of rabbit, and information on what I am up to concerning my rabbits.  If you have any questions on this breed you would like to see answered on this blog, please email me at tmsrw1014@yahoo.com, and I will do my best to post an answer.  Just so you know, my style often differs from that of others, probably because I began raising them in the nineteen eighties, so I have alot of "old school" knowledge. So, if what I say is different from what others say, it is important for you to just see what works for you.


Today, I would like to talk about keeping whites white.  A ruby eyed white english angora is a beautiful animal on the show table.  But, some people shy away from them, because they are worried about keeping them clean.  Here is what I do.  First of all, my whites that are in show coat are in cages without urine guards.  While I love them, urine guards can make a beatiful long coated English Angora very messy.  Then, when I take the rabbit out for its blowing session, I will spray the bottom of the cage really good with white vinegar that I put in a spray bottle.  This will clean up any stains on the wire to make sure that the cage floor stays clean.  When I turn the rabbit over, I will trim the area around its private area.  As long as what you clip cannot be seen on the top when the rabbit is standing, I think it is fair game (make sure to leave the wool on the skirt intact as well as the tail, but around the private area and behind the feet, and a small ways between the legs can certainly be removed.)  My theory is that if it is messy it is in the way and has to go.  If the area that is yellow is on a part that is needed to make sure it has a good appearance on the top, then I spray with the white vinegar (do not get this on the private area) and put baby powder or corn starch on to try and lighten.  I leave the corn starch in (except for if I am at a show, of course) because it will work on lightening and because it may soak up any more urine that gets on the coat in that area.  If the next time you take the rabbit out for its blowing session  it is still wet or stained, I repeat these steps.  The white vinegar will remove a fresh yellow spot right away, but for one that has already stained, this process will need to be repeated.


Does anyone else have tips or ideas on keeping whites clean and white that they would like to share?  If so please post in comments or send me an email at tmsrw1014@yahoo.com


Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment